Info for: High School Juniors
Future Fighting Hawk Checklist
Now that you're in your junior year of high school, it's time to get serious about your future. Get started now. Be ready for fall 2021.
We hope this checklist will lead you to the right college — and to the best choice
of all — the University of North Dakota.
Prep for College as a Junior
- Make an appointment to visit with your high school counselor about your college plans.
- Create a shared email account both you and a parent can access that's specifically used for communication from colleges. Throughout the college process, you'll receive emails about important dates and deadlines, financial aid and admission decisions. You don't want to miss them or have them get lost in your current email inbox! A shared spreadsheet is another way for you and your parents to stay on top of deadlines.
- Explore our interactive program finder to learn more about the 225+ fields of study offered at UND. Make a list of all the programs that interest you. You can narrow it down later.
- Get a look at campus life and see why we're #UNDproud.
- Make sure you're taking the right mix of high school classes to meet the UND admission requirements. To be accepted to UND for Fall 2021, you'll need the following:
- English (4 units)
- Math (3 units of Algebra I or above)
- Lab Science (3 units)
- Social Sciences (3 units)
- 1 additional unit from any category above or world language (including foreign languages, Native American languages or American Sign Language).
- Get a head start on your college credits before you come to campus.
- Talk with your family and make a list of what matters to you: Majors, size, location, costs, scholarships, financial aid, student activities, alumni success, campus safety, etc.
- Go online to research colleges and track your options on a worksheet or system that works the best for you.
- Identify your top choices and contact college admission offices to get more information.
- Get to know UND's admission reps.
- Prepare to take the or the for the first time. Ask your counselor for details and helpful resources.
- Review UND's admission guidelines. UND accepts the ACT or SAT.
- Send UND your scores by indicating:
- ACT Code: 3218
- SAT Code: 6878
- Research the costs for college.
- UND's combined tuition, fees and room / meal plans cost $4,000 less per year than the national average for 4-year public universities.
- Learn about financial aid (scholarships, grants, employment and loan programs) and how it can help you pay
for college. UND offers $100 million annually in aid — that's an average award of
$11,300+ per student per year.
- Estimate your UND financial aid with our Net Price Calculator.
- Talk with your family about options to pay for college. Use the for a financial aid estimate.
- Schedule a campus visit! Visiting campus is the best way to experience life at UND.
Get Ready for College During Senior Year
- Research UND scholarship opportunities, applications and deadlines.
- If needed, keep studying to take the ACT or SAT a second time. More than 57% of students
who took the ACT a second time raised their composite scores.
- At UND, you need a minimum of 22+ ACT or a 1100+ SAT with a 3.5+ GPA to qualify for an academic scholarship.
- If you take the ACT or SAT multiple times, your top score from each section (regardless of exam date) will be used to determine your composite "superscore" for scholarship eligibility.
- Stay focused on your classes and keep involved with student and volunteer activities. Your hard work will pay off with admission and scholarship opportunities.
- Make another appointment to visit with your counselor about college.
- Attend college fairs and visit UND if you haven't had a chance yet. If you can't visit UND during the week, check out Saturday options.
- Apply to UND in 4 easy steps! The application for fall 2021 opens August 1.
- UND's priority deadline for admission and scholarship consideration is February 1.
- Beginning October 1, use your 2019 income taxes to complete the 2021-22 .
- Send UND your FAFSA information by using school code 003005. Apply early as funding is not guaranteed!
- Complete your by UND's February 1 priority deadline.
- Apply for Housing. UND's priority housing application deadline is February 1.
- Choose your college (UND – of course!) and notify all the others that you won't be attending.
- Confirm you're attending UND by paying the $200 nonrefundable Enrollment Confirmation Deposit by May 1.
- Watch for information to RSVP for UND's New Student Transition Program to help you get advised and registered for classes.
- Request your high school and applicable colleges / universities to send all final transcripts to UND after graduation.
- Attend the New Student Transition Program in the summer to meet future classmates, register for classes and get your questions answered.
- Make sure you've completed all UND's processes for housing, financial aid, scholarships, enrollment confirmation deposits, tuition payments, etc.
- You're all set to join UND's Class of 2025 and become a Fighting Hawk!